Tuesday 2 April 2019

Thrills of a Lagos Babe (Episode 2)




Now, the offer from Mrs. Maria Shitta had become the news flash.
‘But that would mean my leaving Ibadan for Lagos,’ I pointed out.
‘Yes.’
I frowned slightly. ‘Why didn’t Mrs. Shitta set up the business here in Ibadan? Why did she have to set it in Lagos?’
Mummy chuckled. ‘She has her good reasons for doing that, my dear.’
I nodded. Just then, there was another blaring of horn at the gate. ‘Goodness,’ mum said. ‘That must be Mrs. Shitta. She said she would be visiting.’
She stood up from the bed and moved to the door. I followed her.
‘Maria has a lot of confidence in you for inviting you for this job, Simi. You must not disappoint her.’
I sighed. Mummy was always zealous about things she was interested in. I had not even affirmed that I would accept the job offer, but she was already taking about not disappointing her friend.
She went downstairs while I went back to my room. I played some music on my small sound system and reclined on my bed. Many minutes later, there was a knock on my door. The person that knocked didn’t wait for an answer when the knob was turned and the door was pushed in.
Titi gave a grin. ‘Mummy said you should come downstairs,’ she informed.
I knew that would be her message. ‘Okay, I’ll be coming.’
I got down from the bed and went to the staircase. Here, I could hear the excited voices of mum and her guest. I descended the case slowly. The voices grew louder as I got to the large living-room.
‘Good evening, ma,’ I greeted Mrs. Shitta.
‘Ah, Simi, my daughter, come and give me a hug.’
I gave her a hug, the strong whiff of her perfume assailing my nose.
She looked at me all over. ‘Only God knows what is wrong with the young men in Ibadan. How could they leave a beautiful damsel like you alone all this while?’ she smiled.
I wasn’t surprised at her sarcasm. This woman could talk!
‘Don’t worry,’ she went on. ‘Lagos men are smarter. Before you spend months there, you’ll see how they will rush you. They know good things.’
Mummy smiled while I grinned. But, who told Madam Maria that I didn’t have a man in my life? I had, even though he was an unserious fellow.
‘O ya, sit down and let’s discuss,’ Mrs. Shitta went on. ‘Bimbola must have told you about the Lagos job I’m offering you, right?’
I nodded and took a seat beside her. ‘Yes, ma.’
‘So, what d’you think?’
‘She’s going to do well on the job,’ mummy intervened. ‘I trust my daughter.’
 I nodded in support of what my mother said.
‘Yes,’ Mrs. Shitta continued. ‘I want you to be smart and sharp. I want you to be my eyes and ears there. I want you to grow the place. And of course, the remuneration is mouth-watering.  I know you’ll not disappoint.’
I resigned myself to fate. ‘No, I’ll not disappoint,’ I answered.
I stayed with the two women for several more minutes before I excused myself. The following day was Wednesday, I was on my way to work when mummy called me.
‘Maria just called me now. She advised that you should resign from your current place of work with immediate effect.’
Just like that? I sighed. ‘Okay, mummy.’
‘She also advises that you’ll get set and follow her to Lagos on Sunday.’
‘So fast?’
‘Yes. She wants you to be on ground, familiarize yourself with the place and be part of the team that will kick off the operations of the place.’
I sighed. ‘Okay, mum.’
As I soon as I got to my office, I wrote a short letter to notify the management that I had resigned my appointment with immediate effect. I thanked them for the opportunity they had given me to work there. Moji, my colleague and good friend was shocked by my sudden decision. I explained to her why I had to do what I did.
 I packed my few personal belongings, bade them farewell and left. I was back home before mid-day. Mum advised that I should get some books and read about hospitality business. I went on Google to do so.
I called my friends to inform them about my imminent relocation to Lagos. I also called Deola, my sister to intimate her. She was a Medical student at the University of Ibadan and she stayed on campus.
‘Are you going to be working at NAFDAC in Lagos, or what?’ Deola asked.
‘Mrs. Shitta is opening a hotel. I’ll be working there.’
‘What? Hotel? Do they prescribe and dispense drugs in hotel?’
I chuckled. ‘Don’t be cheeky, Deola. I’ll be working as Business Manager.’
‘Business what? What d’you know about business?’
‘Don’t under estimate my potentials, sister.’
She laughed over the line. ‘Well, best of luck, Simi.’
‘Yeah. And best of luck to you too.’
Last but not the least, I called Daniel.
‘I’ll be going to Lagos,’ I said. ‘There’s a job waiting for me there.’
‘What!’ he sounded astonished. ‘How could you do that?’
‘The job is better than what I have now and mum advises that I should take it.’
‘And you didn’t discuss it with me before you decided,’ he accused. ‘What if I say no?’
Now, that was Daniel for you. How could he say no?
‘The job is from a family friend and …’ I was explaining.
‘Alright, alright. What kind of job is it, anyway?’
I sighed. ‘I’m to be a hotel Business Manager.’
‘What? You want to work in hotel?’ His tone sounded like it was the most disgusting job I could ever take.
I breathed in deeply but said nothing.
‘Listen, Simi,’ he said. ‘No baby of mine will work in hotel. You’re not to take that job.’
‘You don’t mean that, Daniel,’ I said, getting agitated.
‘I mean it. Don’t accept it. If you do, then kiss our relationship goodbye.’
‘Daniel!’
‘I mean it. Take up that job, and then forget about me.’
He went on to cut the line. Can you imagine that? Daniel cut the line. I sighed and shook my head. I was not totally surprised by his behavior, for he always had that propensity to be domineering.
 I continued to prepare for my departure. Mum kept drumming it in my ears that I must be a good gal and prove myself worthy, and I kept replying her that she had no reason to be apprehensive.
‘I’m twenty-seven and I know what I should do,’ I said.
On the Sunday that I would leave Ibadan, Mrs. Shitta’s driver came to our house about three o’clock to ‘pick’ me. I had already packed the clothes and other things I would be taking to Lagos in two suitcases. I went on to hug my mum to say goodbye. I was surprised to see drops of tears fall from her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Super Sperm Donor Fathers 200 Children

Culled from The Sun newspaper, UK SUPER sperm donor Declan Rooney is said to have fathered 200 children after advertising on Facebook. ...