Tuesday 2 April 2019

Thrill of a Lagos Babe (Episode 1)



I took the last seat in the cab from Dugbe. A fat woman occupied the center seat and had taken a great deal of space. I just had to bear with her. In the next ten minutes or so, I should be at Idi-Ishin quarters, my destination.  I finally got down and gave a sigh of relief. I gave the driver money, but he complained he didn’t have change. When it was obvious he was wasting my time, I decided to forgo the change and moved on.
Our home was a white storey building that needed repainting. It used to be a very beautiful duplex, but the peelings on the wall had done some damage to its aesthetic values. I unlocked the pedestrian side of the gate and made for the entrance door. It was locked from inside. I pressed the bell and waited patiently.
From inside, a curtain was moved aside as two eyes peered to see who the intruder was.
‘It’s me, Simi,’ I called out, in case the person had some doubts.
Quickly, the door was unlocked and thrown open.
‘Welcome, aunty,’ Titi said, coming to hug me, and to relieve me of my handbag.
Titi would not stop amazing me. Just about nine hours ago, she had seen me off to work. Now she was greeting like someone who hadn’t seen me for months!
‘Thank you,’ I mumbled and entered the house. She knew where to take my bag to. We went straight to my bedroom which was the first by the right on the first floor.
‘How was work?’ Titi asked.
I smiled. ‘Fine.’
She lingered a bit. I opened my bag, brought out a roll sausage and handed it to her.
She smiled. ‘Many thanks, aunty,’ she said.
I nodded. ‘You’re welcome.’
She left my room. I sighed, sat on the bed and removed my shoes. Then I changed from my office wears to a t-shirt and shorts.  I lay on the bed, thinking of Daniel. The guy was becoming erratic these days and I was getting fed up with the relationship. I had complained to mummy about him, but she said I should be patient. How long would I continue to condone his childish – almost foolish – behavior?
There was the hooting of car at the gate. Titi went to see who it was. Soon, the wide gates were opened and a car drove into the compound. That must be mummy. She was on afternoon duty and anytime she was, she came in about this time. I could hear the voice of Titi welcoming her. Moments later, I could hear footsteps coming up the stair case.
‘Has Simi come back?’ Mummy was asking.
‘Yes, mummy,’ Titi answered.
Mummy raised her voice. ‘Simi! Come o! There’s good news.’
I sighed, wondering what could be the news. The greatest news I would have loved to hear was that my father, the late Brigadier-General Michael Akolade, had come back to life. Since daddy died about two years ago in a ghastly road accident, I believed I was the one that missed him most. Not even his wife, my mother, missed him the way I did. I believed he was the most loving father in the world, even if his wife did not think so.
But I knew his resurrection would not likely be among mummy’s news items. I got up from the bed and left my room. Mummy was removing her uniform when I entered her bedroom.
‘Welcome, mummy,’ I greeted.
‘Simi, my dear. How’re you?’
Mummy was in good mood. There must be good news she wanted to pass.
‘Fine. How’s work today?’
‘Hectic, as usual.’
She removed her stockings and white gown. I had always known mummy to be a nurse, ever since I could remember.  She was once a slim and beautiful woman and I took after her. Even now that she was fat and not so young again, she still looked beautiful.
Months ago, I and my only sibling, Deola had teased her about re-marrying.
‘You girls are not serious,’ mummy had said.
‘But we’re serious, mummy,’ Deola had said. ‘I’m sure you’re still getting toasters.’
‘Plus micro-wave ovens,’ Mummy added.
We had all laughed.
I sat on her bed. She was not in a hurry to tell me the good news, so I waited. Mummy changed into a long house gown.
She turned to me. ‘Yes, I suppose you’re eager to hear the good news.’
I nodded. 
She came to sit by my side on the bed. ‘Mrs. Shitta is commissioning her hotel in Lagos next week.’
‘Oh? Congrats to her.’
Mrs. Maria Shitta was mummy’s good friend. She was also a nurse at the teaching hospital in Ibadan years ago before she relocated to London. She wanted mummy too to change her place of work, but mummy chose to remain in Nigeria. After ten years in London, Mrs. Shitta was coming back home with an investment. She had built a hotel, as she said she was passionate about hospitality business.
But was the opening of the hotel the good news mummy wanted to tell me? I waited.
‘Well, you know her three children are all abroad,’ mummy continued.
‘Hmn hmn.’ I nodded.
‘Her children would have supported her in running the place, but for the fact that they’re not around. She wants a very trusted and capable person to handle the business for her. She wants a reliable person to be her Business Manager. She wants you work for her.’
I opened my mouth in astonishment. ‘What! Me?’
‘Yes, you, Simi,’ my mother said. ‘You can do it and you will do it.’
‘I read Pharmacy, for God’s sake! What has that got to do with running hotel business?’
‘Studying Pharmacy does not mean you can only be limited to that line. With commitment, you can succeed as Business Manager, my dear.’
Presently, I worked at Dravos Foods, a company that was into the production of biscuits and confectionery. The pay wasn’t that good, but it was still better than being idle at home. Daddy’s ex friends who had promised better jobs were yet to fulfill their promises.
 I was thoughtful for a while.  At twenty-seven, I had graduated over five years ago and had completed my national youth service over fours ago, now. I had taken the job at Dravos, after I could not secure a job at the pharmaceutical industry. Mummy herself promised to get me employed by the UCH, but it wasn’t easy succeeding in that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Super Sperm Donor Fathers 200 Children

Culled from The Sun newspaper, UK SUPER sperm donor Declan Rooney is said to have fathered 200 children after advertising on Facebook. ...